Thursday, February 16, 2012

The Law of Precession - The Big Picture in Technology

I was talking to my friend, Jack Warkenthien of NextStep Solutions (http://nextstep-solutions.com), last week and we were talking about enhancing CAP5’s Sales Process.  In that conversation he brought up the term “Law of Precession”.  Although through deduction in deciphering the roots of “Pre” for “forward” and “Cession” for “group order”, the “Law of Precession” was new to me.  (Not knowing the exact meaning of term Precession at the time, I later found the dictionary definition being, “continuous forward progress by a group moving along in an orderly fashion.”) 

Even though I pretty much knew what Precession meant, I still had never had heard of the “Law of Precession” so of course I asked Jack.  I am sure this is what he wanted anyway so that he could impart his knowledge and elevate our conversation regarding enhancing my sales process.  He is an expert in the Sales Development and Consulting field so it only made sense that he should tout what he knows and impress me!

His explanation was rather deep with lots of personal feeling behind it.  I was very impressed with his explanation and listened intently as he moved the conversation from a knowledge transfer to more of a “what I believe” heart felt impression which he left with me. I could never mimic the way that Jack explained the law.  Now that I understand it, I think that everyone needs to define the law on their own terms and I would certainly do that by hearing the conversation from Jack or someone like Jack that has a belief in the Law of Precession through life experiences. 

I am still learning to define the Law o Precession in my own terms but I can simply clinically explain it as:, the Law of Precession is more of a “Lifestyle Philosophy” that surrounds our lives if we concentrate on it.   In short, I found out that that the Law of Precession has everything to do with setting our sites on the end game or the big picture goal and while doing so, the general law allows for all the particles and pieces to fall into place on their own naturally. 

In trying to find my own definition, I came across the following article that I think will help everyone define the Law of Precession in their own terms: “How we can Apply the Law of Precession to our Relationship and Stay Happy…” (http://natureluvr.wordpress.com/2008/09/14/how-can-we-apply-law-of-precession-to-our-relationship-and-stay-happy%E2%80%A6/)

Now to explain why I have picked this subject… For years, I have been searching for an analogy to explain CAP5, the root of the long version of “Capability Maturity Level  5”  The Law of Precession is the perfect analogy to explain this maturity!  CAP5s are the technological goals, otherwise known as “Fully Optimized” goals, that all companies should set their sights on when working on their technology business (opposed to “in their technology business”).  As long as responsible technology parties keeps their focus on the their technology environment’s end game, all the other particles and pieces will naturally work out with a high percentage of success.  Alternately, companies often focus on fixing what is broke and instead of finding out what truly is causing the problems that initiated the issues to begin with.  If all a company does is focus on the little things, they will spend too much time, money and resources and will never get to a fully optimized state within their technology environment.

I certainly challenge all that are working on high maturity and fully optimized technology business environments, to adopt an end game strategy.  Hopefully through understanding the Law of Precession, all can gain a well-rounded analogist perspective in solving the bigger picture problems in their technology business organizations.

To find out more of how the CAP5 philosophy can work in your company's technology organization, please contact us at sales@capfive.com or 713-979-5280.

No comments: